If you like blueberries and raspberries, you have got to try this pie! It originally started out as just stewed berry topping for vanilla ice cream, and it was to die for! But, the recipe was missing something. The Lumberjack said that I should try to use the stewed berries as a pie filling... Um, Duh. He was soooo right. The recipe is super quick and easy, but if you don't like sweet, this recipe probably isn't for you. However, I highly recommend you try it anyways just to make sure because I promise.. You won't hate it. No way.. No how..
Now.. Onward with the little slice of berry heaven!
- 3 half-pints of fresh raspberries
- 2 half-pints of fresh blueberries
- 1 half-pint of fresh blackberries (optional-you really can mix your berries however you choose.. I promise, it'll still be yummy!)
- 1 cup sugar (if you're okay with super sweet, you can use 1 1/2 cups, I use less)
- 3/4 cup of water
- And if you're feeling frisky.. 2 tablespoons of raspberry brandy (totally optional)
- Combine 2 half-pints of raspberries, all of the blueberries, the half pint of blackberries, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a rapid boil. Lower the heat and cook uncovered over medium low heat for about 10 minutes. Finally, remove from heat and stir in the remaining raspberries and brandy (if your little heart desires).
- From here, you have two options.. Okay 3.
- Pour generously over vanilla ice cream (vanilla bean is the best!)
- Use as a pie filling with your store bought Pillsbury Pre-made cheaters pie crust.. Yes, I cheated. Bake according to the pie crust package directions. I chose to make a pie because #1, I finally got to use one of our new pies plates that we got as a wedding gift and #2, what lumberjack wants-lumberjack gets! Also, if you are going to use the berries as a pie filling, make sure you either drain the majority of the juice or add a little cornstarch to thicken it up. This is a sugary filling, so sprinkle a little flour on both sides of your pie crust before putting in the pan.
- Pour over ANYTHING.. Pancakes.. Sure. Biscuits.. Why not? Anything...
Last but not least... Enjoy.
*Note... After eating this yummy pie, we decided it was good. BUT.. What would make the berries perfect is a good old fashioned biscuit cobbler crust. Yum, right?